Thursday, 24 September 2009

Burning Man, Goodwood, LFW...I'm back!



You can all breathe a sigh of relief, as I have returned from Burning Man in one piece, relatively unscathed, if a little more in need of a holiday than when I left. BM is not a holiday, it turns out; its a survival exercise, an experience of self-reliance and an experiment in adopting an entirely different way of life- different geographically, economically, socially; running around naked in the desert, surviving without running water, dispensing with the use of money- it can make you see things very differently. Anyway, I'm not going to get all preachy, and I'll write a longer account of the trip for Run Riot, but needless to say, returning to the real world after such an experience can be a bit of a shock to the system. My man and I headed to Lake Tahoe for a few days chilling by the lake and taking two, sometimes three baths a day in our motel room, before heading back to San Francisco for some vintage shopping and er.. jello wrestling.Like I said, more on this later.


















To see all my pics, click here.All this, fairly easy on the brain, but 24 hours later, back in the UK, I found myself heading down to Goodwood for the Revival, where I had promised to help Naomi run the Vintage Emporium which Vintage Secret was commissioned to run as a taster for next year's Vintage at Goodwood event. For more Goodwood pics, click here.Unfortunately, going from BM to Goodwood is possibly the most dramatic festival culture shock you could orchestrate- we're talking going from a community where money has no value, where it doesn't matter who you are or where you're from, to a festival for people who drive vintage cars.And fly planes.

I'm obviously making the sort of sweeping generalization here that normally drives me crazy, and I know there were lots of vintage fans at the event who are just lovely, down to earth people, but sadly those I spent most of the time being yelled at by, were the kind for whom who you are,where you're from and how much money you have are all that matters. They literally brought me and a number of my colleagues both to tears and to boiling point at various stages over the weekend, which was a serious shock for us as we are so used to dealing with truly lovely people here in London. Anyway, I really can't be anymore specific, as I was already threatened face to face by someone if I didn't drop it; if you want to read my honey and milky version of events, click here.If you want the truth, email me.
After working three fifteen hour days, on some serious jetlag, I got back to London in time to face the last couple of days of London Fashion Week. I checked out a jewellery collection by Audrey Ang at Kabiri for Amelia's, and on the way home bumped into Susie Bubble, my editor at Dazed. She was just leaving Luella's having interviewed the lovely lady- anyway, we stopped and had a chat mid pavement before Susie's phone rang and she had to dash off. I glanced at the doormen, feet away, who'd heard me being all pally with Susie, and decided to chance it. I walked on in, right past them, no questions asked-woohoo!Apple martinis away!And some swanky iced biscuits!Zine artist Owen Plummer is responsible for the artwork in Luella's store window, as well as for her t-shirt designs. Luella's own creations with the cut-out hearts were undoubtedly my favourite catwalk item this LFW- and I managed to nab a pic of the star herself!(You can tell I really took it cos she has a bit of red eye!)
Speaking of Zine artists, this weekend is Publish and be Damned- the event for non-mainstream publications like the zine,journal, periodical or diary. Also worth checking out is the London Art Book Fair- lots of massive discounts for coffee table eye candy. Since I've been back, I've listed lots of great new events on Run Riot, and vintage themed events on Vintage Secret, so see what takes your fancy. Glad to be home. x

1 comment:

anjali said...

Birmingham Web Design
Birmingham web designing is a Birmingham based blog which has been designed by Suhanasoft, and Indian web Design Company. The company provides website design, web development and search Engine Optimization services at affordable prices. Our creative design and developing secure website has made us popular among our clients. We have developed several websites from demark.

Related Posts with Thumbnails