Saturday, 26 September 2009

Shopping Stateside




Overdoing it for the last 6 weeks has finally taken its toll, so I write this from bed, with a sod of a cold which has robbed me off both my voice and the ability to eat anything solid. As a result I am hungry, grumpy and unable even to whinge about it as I can't talk.So instead I thought I'd let you know about my recent shopping experiences in the US.
I was super excited about doing some vintage shopping in San Francisco, but to be honest I found it a bit of a let down.Maybe I was just in the wrong place, or maybe I was in the right place but so many people have now heard about the right place that its now just a bit pricey and crap and well, wrong.The best vintage shopping I did was in a tiny store in Tahoe City where they had a basket of gorgeous vintage embroidered tableclothes, napkins, cushion covers etc for as little as 50 cents.Find!Sadly my luggage allowance got in the way of any serious stocking up. (View from the back porch of the shop over Lake Tahoe pictured above).
Whilst I was underwhelmed by the shops in San Fran, I did go a bit gooey over a number of vintage event flyers I picked up in the Haight-Ashbury district; here is the inside print for the one above:

Don't know how clearly that scan will come out, but basically it promises art deco, Gatsby style party in glorious grounds, bring your vintage automobile, jazz orchestra, wine-tasting, vintage picnic display and workshop (???), hair and make-up lectures and so on..lush. Here was another one I wished I could have stayed for:



One shop I found that did have some gorgeous vintage clothes and amazing accessories, home decor and random bits and bobs is Neda's Flowers and Gifts. From vintage shoes, to old birdcages, Virgin Mary artwork, old pharmaceutical instruments, fossils, antique books and Victorian photographs, Neda's takes quirky to a whole new level. Her shop also stocks jewellery and artwork by Lovedtodeath; taxidermy memento mori and antique curiosities.Fancy a fascinator made from a real bird's wing? Or a traditional Victorian necklace complete with child's tooth?Definitely not for the squeamish, the pieces are certainly unique, and even if they lack subtlety, I still found them fragile and beautiful in their own way.
Now for one modern shop that I fell in love with in San Francisco- and those of you who visit the States regularly are probably way ahead of me on this one- Anthropologie!The clothes!The homeware!The fantastic shop decor that included a 1930s bird house!The awesome array of art books!Even the website is gorgeous, do check it out- and start saving as Anthropologie is set to hit British shores at the end of next month- the Regent street store opens 28th October- woohoo!Actually I am not really happy about this at all, the stuff in Anth. isn't ridiculously expensive but its not cheap either, and generally I like to keep beautiful things I can't afford as far away from me as possible. But I can at least go in and browse their selection of books then try to find them for less on Amazon. I have already lost track of the number of times I have typed 'Anthropologie' into my ebay search engine since I returned....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I f you would like a PDF of the Gatsby invitation, or of the 36 page program from the same event, let me know thru Facebook (we are friends), Sara Klotz de Aguilar. I'm the graphic artist. Too sad that you couldn't stay for the party! It was swell.

anjali said...

Kolkata Web Design Company
One of the leading web design company of Kolkata, Acesoftech has been actively involved in web design, web development and Search Engine Optimization services. The company provides you affordable web site design, web site development and Search Engine Optimization services. While there is no chance of compromising with the quality, our prices are most competitive.

Related Posts with Thumbnails