Thursday, 15 April 2010

Cultural therapy


Culture Label is a site I've been a big fan of for ages- who doesn't LOVE the giftshops at galleries and museums?What if you could go shopping there without having to leave your sofa at all?!CL brings together products from the Tate, Saatchi gallery,the British Museum, the V&A and many many more, as well as unique pieces from independent artists and designers. I'm incredibly honoured to have been asked to become a patron for the site which is soon to relaunch, bigger and better than ever. No doubt this is down to me spending a borderline unhealthy amount of time on Etsy and the internet in general scouting for new things to lust after. One of my favourite finds is Victoria Graham whose work I first came across at an exhibition on my university campus. I rediscovered her again the other day when reading about the forthcoming British crafts exhibition at Fortnum and Mason. The Culture Label team have blogged about it here.



Also stocked on Culture Label are the fantastic silk scarves by Miss Kiki Salon Presents- you can buy them here, as well as on the Miss Kiki site, and their Etsy shop. Here are two of my favourite designs, Tea Party,by artists Ghoulia Peculiar and Yiannis Katsaris and The Art of Illusion by Adele Elizabeth. I'm so excited to be working with Miss Kiki and her collective; SO many exciting projects in the pipeline; will keep you posted.





Another incredibley talented individual I've started working with is Nicola Woods, the designer behind luxury eco brand Beautiful Soul. Reworking vintage kimonos and saris into modern masterpieces, Nicola's summer collection is currently flying off the shelves at the V&A. Her forthcoming Autumn collection features wool sourced by Izzy Lane, who also provides the wool for model Lily Cole's green label The North Circular.The thing I love about Nicola's creations is that they are totally adjustable so you once you've invested in a piece, it will last you a lifetime, even if your figure changes. You can also work with Nicola to choose your fabric personally- her new studio is on Portobello road and is a haven of vintage sari and kimono fabrics. I'll be heading to the Esthetica press day on the 22nd April at Somerset House to see Beautiful Soul and many other collections that pride themselves in being both sustainable and stylish.





1 comment:

Lula Rick-Hardy said...

Well, sometimes items at giftshops (physical ones) do cost me 3 or 4 pounds more than I'd like them to cost, which is tough, so it's kinda an ambivalent love- but I prefer buying something charming to donating cash to the museum/gallery to support them. Anyway, all this is very exciting, I'm sure you're their perfect patron, congrats

Related Posts with Thumbnails