Thursday, 24 June 2010

Glasto Widow

So most of you have heard me moping about not going to Glasto on twitter, so I won't go on about it; I'm simply going to highlight the acts I WOULD be crazy excited about seeing IF I were going.Totally, totally recommend seeing as many of these as possible, but at the same time, I think the key to enjoying a festival as big as Glasto is not to stress too much about being in certain places at certain times, cos it never happens. So if there's someone you really, really want to see, make sure you're there yonks in advance, otherwise just pootle around, and who knows, you could stumble across your new favourite band. The first year I went to Glasto I came across LAMB completely by accident, but they became my absolute favourite act and stayed in my top 5 bands for years.(I even saw them INSTEAD of Radiohead the year they were both playing at the same time- blasphemy to some, I know.) It was a beautiful sunny day and Lou Rhodes was wearing a massive red tulle ballgown and there was a bubble machine nearby- it was all very fairytale.I'd finished my last A level that Thursday, then headed down to Somerset for my first music festival, where I ended up meeting the man I've spent the last 8 years with.So I have pretty good Glastonbury memories!























Anyway, here goes; Friday I would definitely catch Lou Rhodes on the Avalon stage, as well as Gabby Young and Other Animals, who'll also be performing in The Rabbit Hole on Saturday and a couple of other locations too I think, check their page for details. If you've only seen Gabby doing small acoustic sets, then definitely try and catch her with the whole band as its a completely different experience.She has some amazing outfits, accessories and even wigs for the weekend from Ad Hoc, I will be waiting for pics to be tweeted!Nouvelle Vague will be performing with guests on the West Holts stage; I love their quirky covers of old classics.In the evening go and see The Flaming Lips on the Other Stage as they put on a great show- lots of costumes and props. I'd be most excited, however, about seeing relative newcomer Jesca Hoop on the BBC Introducing stage; Gabby Young actually alerted me to her amazing music video for 'My Kingdom', I absolutely adore it. Check out her video 'Money' too.








On Saturday I'd go for Imogen Heap on the Other stage and Imelda May on the Acoustic Stage.Both have fantastic sounds and style. On the Park Stage is another incredibly talented singer/songwriter; Laura Marling. Sunday there are the obvious contenders; Paloma Faith and Stevie Wonder are must sees, but I'd also be queuing up for Broken Social Scene whose Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl is still one of my favourite tracks, even if I'm far too old for it.




Alessi's Ark are another gorgeous act playing at the Queen's Head. Other attractions I'd try and fit in would definitely be a trip to Tony Hornecker's pop-up restaurant, Live Swaparama at the Pussy Parlure, the Broken Hearts DJs and The Correspondents, Amelia's magazine founder Amelia's stage in the Climate Camp, Baba Brinkman in Spoken Word/poetry and of course, my boyfriend's band, Filthy Kicks, 1.45 Friday night/Saturday morning at the Tadpole/Green Futures stage.You can see the full line up times here. Enjoy! (but please tell me it was rubbish and I didn't miss anything)

1 comment:

Plinth said...

Can't believe I missed off Janelle Monae- totally amazy http://www.myspace.com/janellemonae

Related Posts with Thumbnails