Friday, 6 May 2011

Creative Walls by Geraldine James

Images from From Creative Walls by Geraldine James published by CICO Books, photography by Andrew Wood



The lovely folk at Cico books have sent me one of their latest publications; Creative Walls by Selfridges Home Buying Manager Geraldine James. The book is full of beautiful images of walls turned into works of art, clever storage devices or photographic moodboards. 


For someone like me who keeps everything; from old postcards to my grandmother's photographs, organising and displaying it can be a challenge. My jewellery box is currently overflowing so I may try this framed display in the image above, as I always feel its a real waste for my necklaces to be hidden away in a box.





I'm afraid the images above of a wall decorated with Vogue covers has prompted me to tell a very sad wall story of my own.
When I went away to boarding school aged 16, I started decorating the walls of whatever room I was sleeping in with my favourite images from magazines. They always had to be black and white, and ranged from Ralph Lauren Romance adverts, to iconic photoshoots and spreads. Over the years I had enough torn out sheets to cover a good couple of walls- including pages from Italian Vogue on my gap year and other foreign publications.I moved them into whatever new room I was living in, through university and then to Brixton where I was living with some girlfriends.When I finally moved in with my boyfriend, I  knew I wouldn't get away with plastering half his flat with fashion, so took my collection to my parent's new, rented house where I had a room. Last year, they moved out of that house and into their new home, and it was only when I went to visit them there for the first time that I said to my mum, 'you did bring my wall of pictures from the old house, didn't you?'She had NOT. They'd been chucked. 8 years worth of collecting thrown away.It's not like I can't find most of the images I had online and print them off or whatever, its the fact that those scraps of paper had travelled with me through all of my adult life, cheering me up at boarding school, gracing the walls of my university halls, making me feel at home when abroad. So that is my tragic tale of wall woe; I realise only other sentimental hoarders will feel my pain, so sorry to bore those of you sensible enough to have all your images safely framed. I'm now in the process of getting all the artwork I own properly mounted so I can display it safely- one of the benefits of doing PR for some artists means I've managed to build up a lovely little collection of signed, limited edition prints and the like.



The book wouldn't be complete without a mention of the Queen of Walls,  Supermarket Sarah who Gabby Young and I created a wall for last year. Sarah's had pop-up walls in Selfridges and her latest effort is dedicated to one of my favourite magazines, Australian publication Frankie-check it out here. It really does encourage you to do something different with your wall space-however small your flat or house, you've got to have some!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails