Sunday, 29 May 2011

MiroSlav Tichy


On Thursday I went on a fashion walk run by Fox and Squirrel - I'll be writing a post all about it this week- but in the meantime I wanted to share with you some photographs by an artist I discovered at one of the stops on our tour. The LN-CC sells clothes, music and books, and it was one of these books that caught my eye. It was a celebration of the works of Miroslav Tichy who from the 1960s to 1985 took thousands of surreptitious pictures of women in his hometown of Kyjov in the Czech Republic. He generally used homemade cameras made from cardboard tubes, tin cans and other materials. 




Most of his subjects were unaware they are being photographed- which gives his work a kind of creepy, voyeuristic quality. I love the soft, out of focus effect which, though from a completely different era, conjures up the aesthetic of great photographers like Julia Margaret Cameron.


1 comment:

Kelly-marie said...

Wonderful! I love the creepyness of them. x

Related Posts with Thumbnails