Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Blogville Bologna - Part 3



Welcome to my third and penultimate post on Blogville in Bologna! The day after we arrived in Bologna, we all ventured off to visit the neighbouring town of Emilio Reggio, where we visited one of the loveliest youth hostels I've ever seen, the beautiful theatre I featured in this post, and a fantastic education centre which teaches children about everything in a hands-on way, even letting them make their own food. They served us an amazing lunch including some of the best cheese and balsamic vinegar I've ever tasted- or so I thought....but that was before we made our final stop of the day, at Acetaia San Giacomo.


Andreas showed us round his beautiful home and the buildings where the balsamic vinegar is made- one brilliant feature of the site is that they had commissioned a local artist to interpret some of the most useful information about the vinegar making process into these gorgeous feature walls- illustrating the process of growing, heating and ageing. 





Since I've recently been doing some work for a whisky company, it was really interesting to see the similarities in the ageing techniques- the use of different types of wood in the various barrels giving the vinegar a different flavour.



We even got to try some of the most expensive Gold label vinegar- over 25 years old and 100 euros a bottle! It was absolutely delicious. We even tried a special bi-product of the vinegar making process- sapa- which is a result of over cooking the sugar out of the grape mixture. It's thick, gooey and very sweet but still has that vinegar kick- and was traditionally served to children on snow! We enjoyed it on ice-cream though,which was absolutely delicious.


I bought a bottle of the vinegar home- not the Gold Label but still better than anything we get here in England! As much as I would like to keep it for myself, I've decided to give away this bottle as a gift to you guys- so leave a comment on this post and I'll pick a winner later this week. Please leave an email address or twitter ID so I can contact you!









5 comments:

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

*drooling*

Sign me up for that bottle, sounds amazing! And I just want to dive through the screen into that parmesan, ORGH!

Penny Dreadful Vintage

Scott said...

Looks liek someone had an awesome time! I need some Italy soon! Just wine, ham and Burrata. Oh yes not forgetting the Balsamic! Count me in for that bottle! @Creative_crack :)

Sarah said...

Wow what a wonderful trip you had - so jealous ;)
Wonderful write up - got a million thoughts running through my head as how I'd put that bottle to use! Sign me up for it post haste!
@northwestnosh

bmkaplan said...

Sounds like you had a great time. And I'd love to win that bottle. I could put it to good use down here in Mississippi.

blakekap1@aol.com is my email.

itcourses said...

CLICK HERE
www.Itcourses-distancelearning.com
National institute is the largest leading chain of skill based hands-on line -training providers for Vast Rang of :-
v Air Line Ticketing,
v Cabin Crew Air Hostess
v Safety Officer/Engineer
v Seo Search Engine Optimization
v spoken English
v Hotel management.
v Call center training
v Web Development
v Technical Vocational
Training Courses Pakistan and All over the World. Its Educational Heritage Can Be Traced Since 2007. National Institute has always led the market by introducing latest market driven IT, linguistics and online Courses. National institute is a trusted name in the field of on line education and training having the largest chain of institutions in the on line worldwide. National institute has a large group of happy &satisfied students attaining successes in their future lives & prospects.

if any one need more info than must reply email adress info@itcourses-distancelearning.com
and call us 00923315389695 find us free call skypee itcourses1

CLICK HERE

Related Posts with Thumbnails