Sunday, 17 November 2013

Guest Post: Beetroot Brownies from Archie and the Rug



Hello, my name is Nicolette and I normally blog over at Archie and the Rug but today to celebrate my 3 year blogging birthday I have teamed up with a bunch of talented ladies to swap articles and meet one another's readers. Here is my blogging story....in brief. When I first started my blog it was a hobby-in fact it was a distraction from my breast cancer. I created an online space to share all of the positive things in my life and celebrate creativity. I soon became excited by monitoring the reader stats and began to view my blog as a business, and that is what it became. It led me to write for various magazines, teach workshops and present on Channel 4.
My real homestead is the vibrant yet idyllic market town of Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire, my current adopted home is Paris- not bad, eh? Truth be known I really miss the countryside but there are far worse place in the world to miss the countryside from. Given my present abode, Katie asked me if I could provide something with a French feel to it when we discussed the posts we would swap. At first glance, you may think are brownies really French? Well no, no they are not. The recipe however is inspired by my difficult relationship with my sage femme (midwife). Here I am trapped in a world of pastry, tarts and all manner of rich buttery snacks and not able to partake. The rules here in France are quite strict about how much weight you gain during pregnancy. A combination of the direct nature that is adopted here and my increasing body consciousness as my pregnancy moves on means I am being incredibly strict when it comes to treats, that way I can still eat cheese. Yes, if it came to a choice between chocolate or cheese, cheese would win every time.

So now that I have painted a suitable tale of woe, a young(ish) woman trapped in a Parisian nightmare, nose pressed up against a patisserie window, I hope that you will understand how my kitchen mutiny began. I decided to develop a recipe that was low in fat and sugar but still had that naughty, chocolate satisfaction that we all need from time to time.
You will need;
1/2 cup canola/vegetable oil
225g cooked beetroot
1tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup plain flour
1/3 cup honey
3tbsp dark cocoa powder
1/3 cup light brown sugar


Method;
  1. Line a brownie pan with baking parchment and preheat your oven to 180C
  2. Whisk the eggs, oil and sugar until creamy and fluffy.
  3. Sift in the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder.
  4. Puree the beetroot in a food processor and add this to the bowl along with the honey.
  5. Gently mix the batter with a metal spoon and pour into the pan.
  6. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 - 25 mins
 I hope you enjoy this almost guilt-free treat as much as I did. I have really enjoyed being here today and hope to see you soon over at Archie and The Rug.  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails